PARENTAL
ADVISORY
BONAKS CONTAINS
EXPLICIT LYRICS

Monday, November 10, 2008

Language's regression.

Is our generation really going inarticulate? Naturally, we must forgive those who aren’t exposed to so much English speaking, such as that girl whom I heard harassing an old woman in the MRT train at 7 in the morning. What I’m talking about here is how we [or this classification of people who are expected to] speak English or express ourselves. If you’re observant [or sensitive] enough, you’d have probably noticed this happening. You may call it as an obvious display of OCD, but I assure you: I am not obsessive-compulsive. Fine, so I sometimes am when it comes to language. Okay, most of the time. Being exposed to so much disappointment, like a teacher not knowing the difference between fortification and fornication or another one who had no idea that the linking verb is is for singular nouns and are is for plural nouns, you can’t really blame me for being so uptight and cranky about it. Unfortunately, Filipinos have the culture of appreciating atrocious grammar.

One of the most common mistakes we make in the language’s written form is the negligence of punctuations. It may seem like a small thing, but it is in fact very difficult to read without them and the meaning completely changes/disappears if punctuations are not respected. One example which almost cost me my grade was:

“With so many exceptions and alternatives available what little is left of the rule that directives cannot of themselves impose obligations upon individuals appears even more indefensible.”

Read it over and over and you will understand nothing if you thought that the thesis statement was grammatically correct. It sounds wrong. It took me about three days to understand what the question really was. A few hours before the submission time, I figured out what it was supposed to be saying:

“With so many exceptions and alternatives available, what little is left of the rule that directives cannot of themselves impose obligations upon individuals, appears even more indefensible.”

I only made a difference of 2 commas and it suddenly made sense. If you tell me that the punctuations didn’t make a difference, I will eat you.

Needless to say, I’ve also lost my ability for language without noticing it. As such, I will cite examples to explain this phenomenon instead, starting with the commonly used expressions and then what they mean/how they should have been said if we were practicing proper English.
Examples:

1. “Ewwww/Yuck!!!”
“I find this/that to be rather disgusting/repulsive.”

2. “He was all like ‘you’re hot!’ and I was like ‘whatever’.” [This one, unfortunately, has a Filipino equivalent and is the newest one out of the whole list.]
“He informed me that he found me quite attractive, however, I did not return his sentiments.”

3. “Bonaks. Pen. Borrow?/ Bonaks. Borrow pen?”
“Bonaks, may I please borrow your pen?”
“Bonaks, would you be so kind as to let me borrow your pen?”

4. “GAY!!!”
“Person of homosexual orientation.”
[Or in slang terms commonly used by straight men:]
“Person not very well accepted in society.”
“Coward.”

5. “You suck.”
“I am displeased by your lack of enthusiasm for this.”
“Indeed, you do lack talent for this.”


6. “HUH?!?!?”
“I beg your pardon? I was not able to catch what you just said.”

7. “@#$%^&* you!!!!!!!!!!/ You @#$%^&*!!!!!!!!!!”
“I am very angry with/jealous of you!”
“I am amused by your crude but nonetheless funny joke.”
“Your ensemble is/ You’re amazing!”


8. “You rock.”
“I was very pleased with your performance. Thank you.”
“You have a gift in this area.”


9. “WTF?!?!??!”
“I am shocked and appalled.”
“I am amused and yet speechless by your display of silliness.”


If you’ve noticed, from the above 9 examples, they are pretty much understandable without my help of proper English. This only goes to show how our vocabulary is going downhill. We no longer make use real words which were designated to what we're trying to say. Although I do admit that actions speak louder than words, there is also a reason for the existence of these words. It is still important to practice proper language, seeing that some of the examples had more than one meaning. So why are there only nine examples? Simple: I’m saving the best form of abuse of language for last. It is in Filipino though.

10. “Yung pagganun ng kwan ang dahilan sa pagganyan nung ano habang nasa kwan. Sa ganun ng ano, e kayang magkwan. Tapos yung pag-ano ng ganun e pwedeng magkwan ng ano—basta. Tapos yung ano ng ganun e pwede rin kaso di kasi siya ganyan kaya kwan…kaya ganun.”

“Ang paggalaw ng mga molecules sa pagkain ang siyang dahilan kung bakit umiinit ito habang nasa loob ng microwave. Sa bilis ng paggalaw ng mga ito, mas marami itong nabubungang init na maaaring lutuin ng hilaw na karne. Ang mga waves na ito ay mayroon rin sa mga panagap ng signal sa radyo, TV o telepono ngunit ang maliit na espasyong kinalalagyan ng pagkain ang siyang nagpapaepektibo sa microwave bilang panluto kumpara sa mga ibang nabanggit a produkto ng teknolohiya.”

“Ang pagsalubong ng egg cell at sperm cell ang dahilan kung bakit nagkakaroonng isang sanggol sa sinapupunan. Sa pamamagitann g pagtatalik, maaaring magsalubong ang mga cells na ito. Ang pagsalubong nito ay nagpapahinulot ng pagbuo ng zygote na siyang magiging sanggol matapos ng siyam na buwan. Maaari ring ipagsalubong ang egg cell at sperm cell sa pamamagitan ng artipisyal na pamamaraan gaya ng in vitro, subalit hindi pa ito napeperpektuhan ng agham sa ngayon, kung kaya’t mas mainam na manatili muna sa natural na pamamaraan.”

“Ang pagmemeron ng konsensya, ayon sa ilang mga pilosopo at relihiyon, ang siyang dahilan kung bakit nananatili ang tao sa estado ng katinuan. Sa loob ng pagiisip ng tao, maaari itong lumipat mula sa katinuan at kabaliwan, moral at imoral, atbp. Ang pagyayaman ng konsensya ay maaaring magbigay bunga sa pagiging buo ng pagkatao dahil ito ay tumutulong sa ating pakikitungo sa lipunan; madalas ay ginagawa ito sa pamamagitan ng pagkakaroon ng relihiyon. Mayroon din namang nagsasabi na ang konsensiya ay maaaring mapagyaman ng walang relihiyon ngunit mas mahirap ang daang tatahakin kung ikukumpara doon sa taong may pinaniniwalaang diyos.”


“Ang paglalagay ng bantas sa teksto ay isa sa mga dahilan ng tagumpay ng wika na isa ring dahilan sa ating nananatiling pagunawa sa isa’t-isa kahit na kasing laki ng kalawakan ang ating bokabularyo. Sa pamamagitan ng bantas, maaari nating makita sa nakasulat na teksto kung saan ang mga pananadaliang paghinto at ang wakas ng pangungusap. Ang paglilipat ng bantas ay maaaring umapekto sa ibig-sabihin ng nagsasalita/nagsusulat. Sa kasalukuyang henerasyon, maaari nang bawasan ang paglagay ng bantas subalit mayroong malaking peligro na hindi maihatid ang tamang kahulugan; mas mainam na gamitin pa rin ng mabuti ang bantas.”

I seriously did not understand the original one. I could go on with more possible translations, but my head is starting to ache from all this thinking in Filipino.

As far as inarticulacy is concerned, no, we’re still quite articulate. However, this steady growth of illiteracy worries me. Will I one day be surrounded by people who communicate with grunts/meaningless words and exaggerated gestures? More importantly, will I be one of those people who communicate with grunts/meaningless words and exaggerated gestures?!?!?!?! Only time will tell. On the bright side, public oral exams/public coversations will be much funnier and physical. Plus we won't need English classes anymore.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

aray ko, aray ko at isa pang aray ko... pasensya na, elementary pa lang ako problema ko na talaga ang subject verb agreement... kaya uhmmm parang ayaw na kitang kausapin.. dyok.. .. ano to english 101? o masteral? cheers;p

glesy the great

10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Di naman, tsong! Hahaha matagal na kasi akong sensitibo sa ganitong isyu...magmula na nung inumpisahan ni Kris Aquino ang "conyo movement". Simula noon, nambubugbog na ako ng conyo.

Kaya mga bata, hindi dapat pinapalampas ang ganito! Ugaliing batuhan ng butter knife sa noo ang mga Kris Aquino!!! [joke :P]

12:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sa may bahay ang aming bati merry xmas na malwalhati!!! Mamamasko po!!!!!

wala munang diet-diet.. let go and let’s eat!!!!
wala munang galit-galit… forgive and forget!!!!
wala munang malungkot… sit back, relax and enjoy..

dahil Birthday ni Papa Jesus!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BJ (baby jesus)!!!
cheers;p-glesy the great

7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home